Sunday 4 May 2014

Creating the Title Page

Today I've been creating some title page designs. For the first design I painted part of the land where the story is set and included the river with Gerda's shoes and the Snow Queen's palace in the distance. It is meant to be sort of a preview to the story where at first you would not know the significance of these objects until after you have finished the book. I've kept it deliberately water-downed and lowered the opacity as I wanted the emphasis to be just on the words. I've also made the hues change from sepia toned to cool toned from the first page to the other, it represents the seasons changing throughout Gerda's journey, except here it happens in one picture. At the moment I'm unsure whether to use white or black text; I think black might be better as it will stand out more but I will get Louise's advice when I see her next week. 



Below are a few other examples I could use as the secondary title page (the one before the main title spread). I made these with boxed images instead of full page ones as I think if there were too many full pages at the beginning it may not go with the rest of the pages where most of them also have boxed images. Out of the two below I prefer the bottom which is more simple and seems almost like a pattern with its repetitive trunks.




No comments:

Post a Comment