Friday 9 May 2014

The Future

Following up from my previous post, I'm going to talk about my goals and what I hope to achieve after this project and the course ends. By the end of the year I aim to be in the full swing of freelance illustrating whilst having a part time job on the side, hopefully related to my industry. Even while I am not receiving commissions I intend to carry on creating images whether they are self initiated or group projects or for competitions which I can then use to update my website, blog and other social networks and this will still be helpful to gain more exposure. I think it would be quite nice to continue with the theme of fairy tales, fantasy genre or something similar. Where my version of The Snow Queen was a bit more focused on scenery I would like to do something more character-related next time. I am primarily aiming towards children's book illustrations but I also want to keep my work open-ended enough to get commissions and illustrate for an older audience. I will be sending my finished artwork for final major project to children's book publishers, both ones that are more well known and also less well known as these are the ones more likely to pick you up if you have just started out freelancing. I am also contemplating joining an agency but will need to do more research on this as I understand that finding one that is suitable for my work and is reliable will be a choice I need to make carefully.

By the start of 2015 I am hoping to have gained a decent amount of exposure with the help of social networking and sending out new self promotional pieces. My self promotional piece will probably contain the new illustrations I've developed for my final major project, and now that I have purchased an A3 printer and scanner it will make it much easier to print in bulk and send out to relevant persons. Joining groups on Linkedin, Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators etc. will also be helpful to reach out to like-minded people and build important connections.

All in all, I feel I am well prepared and am looking forward to begin my career as an illustrator!

No comments:

Post a Comment