Friday 2 May 2014

The Pick Me Up Festival & Buying Portfolio/FMP Supplies

Yesterday I went to the Pick Me Up festival with the course; it was very exciting and inspiring to see so many contemporary artwork all in one space. Although most of the art wasn't very similar to the style or medium I work in I still felt quite inspired by many of the illustrators - I especially loved Isabel Greenberg's work who gave a talk earlier this year, Jessica Das and Damon Smith's work which I've pictured below respectively.
Isabel Greenberg display


Etchings by Jessica Das


Damon Smith


I purchased a portfolio case as well and decided to get an A4 size one as I prefer to work smaller and I think it suits my work in this size. Because I am aiming towards book publishing it will also be easier for the art director to imagine my artwork in their publications.

Additionally, Emma and I walked to Shepard's Bookbinders which is around 30-40 minutes away from Pick Me Up. It was much more convenient being able to see and touch the paper there rather than just ordering online. With the size of my book Katherine advised me to get between 120 - 140 gsm which unfortunately did mean the images might show through a little, but not too much. I ended up getting Simili Japon inkjet paper which is off-white and I feel will suit my images more.  
All in all, it was an enjoyable day and I got a few essential items I've been needing for a while! 

No comments:

Post a Comment