Thursday 8 May 2014

Designing the Dust Jacket

Over the past week I've slowly been putting together the design for the dust jacket among everything else and have almost completed it today. Looking at it now, I feel that the entire image might be more effective with something in front of her face, such as her hand or part of Kai's face - then again, it will fold over the cover as a flap which means it might not matter so much. I still have plenty of time to adjust things if I do change my mind however once I've bound my book.

I decided to keep the cover simple and more graphic compared to a full scene as I want it to stand out from a distance, so I used the Snow Queen's head as a container for the text. I spent a while trying to find a traditional yet slightly contemporary font for the title.
I have painted her hair so it is a bit less defined than her face to make it seem almost like the snow or wind, as I imagine her to embody the snow or be a part of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment